Employers & Recruiters
Chief Winemaker - Robert Oatley Vineyards
Wine Network Consulting Pty Ltd
Mudgee, NSW 2850
03 5962 2427
Winemaking / Oenology
Management / Executive
Application Closing Date
Full Time - Permanent
International, Interstate & Intrastate Travel is required
Apply for Job
Refer a Friend
Add To Favorites
A rare, exciting career opportunity with Robert Oatley Vineyards (ROV) – one of the most dynamic family-owned wine companies in Australia. The position is responsible for all wines in the portfolio and winery management.
Founded by Bob Oatley AO BEM in 2006, ROV sources from Margaret River, McLaren Vale, Frankland River, Barossa Valley, Yarra Valley, Orange and Mudgee. Brands include Robert Oatley, Finisterre, The Pennant, Wild Oats, Montrose, Wildflower, Craigmoor, 1858 and Four in Hand. The production facilities cover all major regions with a base in Mudgee, NSW.
The business includes Oatley Fine Merchants which also represents producers from France, Italy, Spain, USA, Argentina, New Zealand and all major Australian regions. ROV exports to the UK, USA (via Robert Oatley USA) and China. Other premium businesses in the group include Hamilton Island and Qualia.
This is a leadership position requiring a minimum of ten years’ experience. It requires a high level of professionalism, clear strategic thinking, team focus and attention to detail.
The successful candidate will have a passion for fine wine plus extensive knowledge of viticulture and winemaking across a range of regions, styles and market segments. The position also covers efficient, safe, site management and marketing support activity – both domestic and international.
ROV will provide you with the support required to keep pushing for excellence and a remuneration package in line with a senior role of this calibre.
Reporting to both the CEO and Director of Winemaking, the Chief Winemaker will oversee the wine portfolio, manage the local winemaking team and operations of the winery.
The Chief Winemaker will also play the role as a global ambassador for the Robert Oatley brand with regular in-market activity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Mentor and manage the N.S.W. winemaking team;
• Ensure compliant, safe operation of the N.S.W. winery
• Oversee red, white and sparkling wine production;
• Manage wine allocations, blending and inventory;
• Work with the Viticulture team in NSW, developing a focussed fruit resource of the right
size and quality;
• Explore and implement new winemaking developments to improve quality and/or
• Oversee NSW oak planning and its efficient use;
• Provide technical input into Mudgee winery development and capital projects;
• Report monthly to the CEO and Director of Winemaking on matters such as operations,
supply & demand balance and quality;
• Promote ROV wines in the market;
• Coordinate wine show entries and strategy with the winemaking team.
Skills and Qualifications:
• At least 10 years’ relevant winemaking experience in large and small wineries across multiple regions and varieties;
• University degree in Wine Science;
• Demonstrated ability to judge red, white, and sparkling wines;
• Wine show judge with panel chair experience is desirable;
• Drivers licence and ability to travel both interstate and internationally.
• Strong, clear communication;
• Clear strategic thinking;
• Empathy for, and understanding of, luxury brands;
• Constructive, effective leadership style;
• An eye for operational efficiency.
o Growers and winesuppliers;
o AWRI and other technical institutions;
o CEO and Director of Winemaking;
o Viticulture & winemaking teams;
o Sales & marketing teams;
o Supply Chain – logistics and packaging;
o Supply & operations personnel;
o Finance team.
Applicants must have Australian citizenship/residency or a valid existing Australian work visa
Please forward a copy of your CV and cover letter via email using the 'APPLY FOR JOB’ link above.
Deadline for applications: Sunday, 9th June, 2019
Employer Contact Information
Wine Network Consulting Pty Ltd
Office 4 5-7 Green Street
Healesville VIC 3777
View All Jobs From This Employer
Established in 1994, Wine Network and its personnel are established and highly respected professional resources for the wine industry in Australia and overseas.
Wine Network offers a full range of advisory services for wine and viticultural businesses aimed at optimising wine quality, operational efficiency and business sustainability.
Our consultants and associates have extensive industry experience, and we offer tailor-made advice services to suit both new and established businesses of varying sizes.
News & Special Offers
Copyright © 2019
All Rights Reserved
VINUM VITAE PTY LTD