Vineyard Manager / Supervisor / Viticulturist - Topper’s Mountain Wines
Wine and Vine Personnel International
Tingha, NSW 2369
Job Start Date
Application Closing Date
Full Time - Permanent
Light Domestic Travel
In 1999, the Kirkby family commenced the development of a pioneering, cool-climate 10ha vineyard at Tingha, near Inverell. Almost 20 years later, this part of the New England GI has emerged as one of the most exciting cool-climate grape growing regions in NSW. The mature vineyard now produces an award-winning range of varietal wines under the Topper’s Mountain label: the Gewurztraminer is already regarded as one of Australia’s finest and the growing portfolio also includes excellent Tannat, Nebbiolo, Barbera, Tempranillo, Sauvignon Blanc & Shiraz Viognier wines.
The management of this vineyard is an opportunity for an experienced, hands-on viticulturist. Alternatively, it may appeal to a less experienced individual who has an excellent grasp of horticulture, and who is able to achieve results under the supervision of a viticultural consultant.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
• Develop and personally implement an annual vineyard Operating Plan, based on sustainable viticulture principles
• Establish, and work to, an annual budget
• Drive innovation and continuous improvement across all vineyard operations
• Effectively manage casual staff.
• Maintain, adapt and develop timely, seasonally-specific fruit quality and weather contingency strategies to meet grape quality and production goals
• Effectively liaise with owners and winemaker to achieve the family’s goals
• Oversee, maintain and implement all relevant operational and HR, OH&S, procedural and legal compliance requirements
If a candidate has an aptitude for developing relationships with consumers, there would also be an opportunity to:
• Provide interesting & instructive tastings & brand building to Cellar Door customers & visitors (the Cellar Door is open by appointment only).
• Manage wholesale sales activities in the regional area including Inverell, Armidale, Glen Innes, Tamworth & Tenterfield.
The successful candidate will require:
• A Degree in Viticulture or Horticulture and/or equivalent qualification from a recognised tertiary institution. However, non–graduates with a strong track record in a Vineyard Manager or Supervisor’s role but no tertiary qualifications will be considered.
• Preferably 4 years’ experience in a comparable viticultural management position with a company producing premium and super-premium quality grapes
• Wide-ranging methodical and technical proficiencies, with problem solving skills across all vineyard operations
• A budget conscious and results-driven approach
As a person, you will have:
• A hands-on approach to all aspects of the role
• Independence, motivation, self-reliance and the ability meet the requirements of the role with minimal supervision
• A passion to innovate, improve and succeed
• The ability to communicate effectively and collaboratively with the customers, owners, winemaker, contractors and suppliers.
An attractive remuneration package (possibly including vehicle and family accommodation at the vineyard) plus appropriate relocation costs, will be offered to the successful candidate.
For further information or to apply in strict confidence, please email a letter of application and your CV to Chris Anstee via this website.
Employer Contact Information
Wine and Vine Personnel International
119 Willoughby Rd
Established in 1999 in Sydney, Australia, Wine and Vine Personnel International is a specialist in senior executive search and management recruitment in the international wine business. Chris Anstee and founding director Ian Perrett offer clients and candidates the advantages of personal attention from two internationally experienced senior executives with over 50 years wine business experience.