2021 Vintage Cellarhands and Laboratory Assistants - Bay of Fires Wines Tasmania
Bay of Fires Wines
40 Baxters Road
Pipers River, TAS 7252
03 6382 7686
Job Start Date
Application Closing Date
VINTAGE / HARVEST
Light Domestic Travel
Bay of Fires Wines is the perfect reflection of why Tasmania is currently one of the most exciting wine regions in the world. Located approximately 35 minutes north of Launceston in the Pipers River region of Tasmania, Bay of Fires is a medium sized winery sourcing fruit from across Tasmania, including the Derwent Valley, East Coast, Coal Valley and Tamar Valley. The focus is upon producing high quality wines from premium hand-picked fruit, ensuring the expression of varietal character and retention of cool climate acidity.
We are seeking suitably qualified persons to apply for the positions of Vintage Cellarhand and Vintage Laboratory Assistant for the 2021 vintage.
Successful applicants will commence in mid-February, with the first fruit typically arriving during the first week of March, and extending for approximately 8 to 10 weeks depending on seasonal conditions.
Please forward your application and CV, clearly marked “Vintage Cellarhand” or “Vintage Laboratory Assistant”, via email using the 'APPLY NOW' link above.
Bay of Fires Wines is an equal opportunity employer.
The people we are seeking will possess the following essential attributes/requirements:
• Previous winery experience of at least 2 vintages.
• Possess a full range of Cellar skills
• A passion for premium quality wine
• Enthusiastic and self-motivated with a strong work ethic
• Ability to function as an independent worker as well as in a team environment
• Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
• A level of fitness to be able to cope with the physical nature/demands of the position
• Drivers licence and current Australian forklift licence is also preferable
• Capability to provide own transport to and from winery during harvest
• Flexibility to work outside of normal office hours is also essential
• A commitment to Work Health & Safety, Hygiene & Housekeeping, Environmental Standards and Food Safety principles.
Key duties and responsibilities for Vintage Cellarhand include:
● Carry out vintage operations from fruit sampling, crushing, fermentation, pressing and racking.
● Monitoring fermentation and barrel ageing
● Cleaning and sanitation of barrels and all wine equipment
● Keeping the workplace neat and tidy at all times
● Ensure cellar operations are recorded and completed in an appropriate and timely manner
Key duties and responsibilities for Vintage Laboratory Assistant include:
● Undertake testing of all juices and wines and report anything not in specification
● Undertake data entry and assist with transcription and checking of analysis
● Assist with maintenance and calibration of laboratory equipment
● Maintain general housekeeping and cleanliness of the laboratory and cellar
● Assist with cellar operations when required
Accommodation can be organised for successful applicants, however transport between the accommodation and the winery is for vintage staff to arrange.
We pay above-award rates in accordance with our Enterprise Agreement.
During the vintage period, the winery will run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with vintage staff working up to 6 x 12-hour shifts per week.
Due to the current closure of the Australian borders, at this stage applications will only be accepted from Australian residents, or international applicants who are currently in Australia, who have a valid work Visa until at least May 2021. We are hoping the borders between New Zealand and Tasmania will be open prior to vintage, but at this stage we will only accept applications from New Zealand citizens who are currently in Australia.
Although the Tasmanian border is currently closed, vintage workers have been deemed to be essential workers by the Tasmanian government, and therefore should have no significant issues getting to Tasmania. However, If you are coming from a 'hotspot' for covid-19 at the commencement of vintage, there may be a requirement for testing and/or isolation. If this situation arises, we will work with you to determine the course of action, to get you working as quickly and safely as possible.
Applications are to be submitted via the 'APPLY FOR JOB’ link above.
Employer Contact Information
Bay of Fires Wines
40 Baxters Road
Showcase regional winemaking offering premium wines from key wine areas around Tasmania