Assistant Winemaker - DOWIE DOOLE
88 Adams Road
Blewitt Springs, SA 5171
Full Time - Permanent
DOWIE DOOLE are seeking an Assistant Winemaker to join the team.
A hands-on, immersive winemaking role based at the estate winery located at Blewitt Springs McLaren Vale. You will be working alongside 2 experienced winemakers, a great opportunity to work closely as part of a highly awarded winemaking team. An exciting role that will allow the successful candidate to have a real impact and involvement in DOWIE DOOLE’s winemaking future.
To learn more about this exciting opportunity read below.
DOWIE DOOLE is a McLaren Vale experience of the best of the Australian lifestyle. Established in 1995 by wine industry visionaries Drew Dowie and Norm Doole. Over the last 24 years has become known throughout the world as a producer of wines of the highest quality that express McLaren Vale’s unique terroirs; Our wines embody an optimistic, confident and hospitable Australian spirit. The DOWIE DOOLE Estate comprises of 69 hectares of vineyards and a 500-tonne crush winery, allowing control of wine production from grape growing to the finished wine. Being a genuine grower-producer, our wine is true to our winemaking philosophy and vineyards. The commitment to quality has been recognised through the achievement of many trophy’s/awards and most recently being awarded 5 stars in the 2020 Halliday Wine Companion for the third year in a row.
DOWIE DOOLE remains privately owned by a dynamic group of like-minded wine enthusiasts, including highly awarded Chief Winemaker/Managing Director Chris Thomas and founder Norm Doole who remains chairman of the DOWIE DOOLE board. The future is exciting for the winery as it continues to grow its already strong Australian and export sales to Europe, North America, China and South East Asia.
A new DOWIE DOOLE tasting room will be opening summer 2019 offering an immersive tasting experience in an environmentally friendly off the grid tasting room. With a focus on offering an unforgettable DOWIE DOOLE experience in our estate vineyard to grow DOWIE DOOLE’s direct to consumer sales.
DOWIE DOOLE is looking for an Assistant Winemaker to join the existing winemaking team alongside Chris Thomas and Andrei Doroch. Combined Chris and Andrei have over 50 years of winemaking experience. The role will be hands-on and involve all aspects of winemaking from vineyard to bottling. There will also be the opportunity for some brand promotion and market visitation, flying the DOWIE DOOLE flag.
This will be a great opportunity for someone who wants to be mentored by two acclaimed winemakers and be involved in the McLaren Vale community. The role will offer increased responsibility over time, allowing you to grow within the role in all aspects of winemaking, both production and business.
If successful in the role there is a strong chance of progression to winemaker within 1-2 years.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Regular vineyard inspections throughout the year, maturity sensory and lab analysis, scheduling of harvest and other winery associated vineyard operations.
- Take a hands-on winemaking role, particularly during vintage. Being able to complete all cellar and laboratory operations as required alongside cellar hand/s and laboratory staff.
- Contribute to keeping Vintrace winery management software up to date; issuing work orders and ensuring records are up to date.
- Arrange and be involved with the winemaking team in regular wine tasting/blending sessions.
- Schedule and manage the bottling program, working with the admin, marketing and sales team.
- Procurement of winery chemicals, additives and oak.
- Manage bulk wine inventory and sales.
- Manage wastewater system.
- Manage winery policies; OH&S, standard operating procedures etc.
- Represent the DOWIE DOOLE brand as a winemaker at events e.g. Good Food and Wines Show, Wine Dinners etc.
- Back up support working in the DOWIE DOOLE tasting room on occasion.
- Support the Chief Winemaker with preparation of;
- Winemaking reports for the DOWIE DOOLE board.
- Setting of annual winery budgets.
ESSENTIAL BEFORE YOU START
- A Tertiary qualification in Oenology.
- A valid Australian drivers licence and forklift license.
- A valid responsible service of alcohol certificate for South Australia.
- Great communication and collaboration skills and a team focused approach to your work.
- Strong computer skills; must have strong knowledge of excel, outlook, word and power point.
- While some previous winemaking/cellar work experience will be looked upon favourable a willingness to learn and mentored is of higher importance.
- A love of wine and passion for quality.
- Good presentation and people skills – being involved as a brand representative will be an important part of the role.
- Australian residency/citizenship, or a valid permanent work visa.
The role will be full-time. Salary package will be negotiable based on experience. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
If you think this role is right for you….
Send your Resume and Cover Letter through to Andrei Doroch via email using the 'APPLY FOR JOB’ link above.
Employer Contact Information
88 Adams Road
Dowie Doole is a premium, boutique wine producer in the stunning region of McLaren Vale, South Australia.