Winemaker - Knappstein Enterprise Winery
Full Time - Permanent
Knappstein Enterprise is a small but dynamic company, which is committed to producing the best wines from Clare Valley, South Australia.
Knappstein Enterprise is searching for a competent Winemaker to join the winemaking team before Vintage 2020, based at the winery in the Clare Valley.
The successful candidate will become an integral part of the team, with prospect to advance their winemaking career within the business.
- Successful candidates will have, or will be working toward obtaining a degree in Oenology and Viticulture
- Have at least 2 years experience in a similar role
- A passion for understanding how all different types of wines are made, with a special focus on contemporary Australian styles of Riesling, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon
Reporting directly to the Senior Winemaker, your main duties will include:
- Providing technical support to the Senior Winemaker, ensuring all wines are produced within Knappstein’s style and quality parameters.
- Set up blending/fining trials as required
- Participate in allocation tastings, documenting and executing agreed work in a time efficient manner
- Prepare all wines for bottle according to the bottling plan and specific wine specifications, including stability and stylistic parameters
- Weekly ullage management duties, including proposed resolutions to resolve ullages
- Use current research to contribute ideas of improving winemaking techniques
- Maintain a high level of communication with all relevant departments
- Oversee that lab operates efficiently and maintain calibrations and service records for equipment
- Perform lab work as required
- Report when monthly analysis is outside of Knappstein’s specifications
- Contribute to keeping EZY wine records up to date
- Assist where required with interviewing and hiring casual cellar staff for vintage
- Supervise vintage operations to ensure practices and procedures are being taught, learnt and adhered to
- Create and update intake and cellar ops on a daily basis
- Train, supervise and organise cellar staff to achieve work program objectives
- Ensure a high level of hygiene is maintained in all areas of the site
- Assist with chemical, additive stock take, and re-ordering procedures
- Assist with bulk wine stocktakes, accounting for and adjusting discrepancies
- Active member of safety committee
- Assist to create and maintain preventative maintenance register for site
- Act as a Knappstein ambassador at all related events
It is a pre-requisite that successful applicants will have either; Australian residency/citizenship, or a valid work visa. Only applicants who display these credentials will be considered.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter and references via the “apply for job link” above.