Cellar Door Venue Manager - Pooley Wines
1431 Richmond Road
Richmond, TAS 7025
Application Closing Date
Full Time - Permanent
Light Domestic Travel
Pooley Wines is seeking to employ a full-time Cellar Door Venue Manager, reporting to the General Manager, to oversee the cellar door venue at Richmond and all retail sales operations.
The Cellar Door Venue is the wine tasting ambassador for the winery, with a focus on wine sales, hosting Pooley Wine Club members and delivering an exceptional customer experience.
The ideal candidate will thrive in busy venue, providing an exceptional level of service and experience, whilst managing a team of staff and a streamlined operation. The candidate must be creative, think on their feet, be organized, with attention to every detail. A passion for wine is a must with a strong background in hospitality and functions management. This role will also drive retail sales, including the Pooley Wine Club, though creative marketing and promotion.
Position duties include managing the day to day operations of the Cellar Door Venue, including the ‘Coach House’ tasting room, Outdoor Bar area and on-site functions and events, and off-site functions when required. This position engages hospitality and superior customer service techniques to uphold the Pooley brand, service expectations and increase sales and longevity of the Pooley Wine Club membership. This position is creative and directs the marketing and promotion of the Cellar Door Venue and Pooley Wines to existing and potential customers across all media channels.
POSITION PERFORMANCE STANDARDS
Exceptional Level of Customer Service & Experience
Confident and Professional Retail Staff
Innovative and Effective Marketing & Promotion
Lean and Efficient Systems and Procedures focused on Sustainable Work Practices Wine Club Growth and Longevity
Sales Growth across all Retail Channels Strong Financial Management and Viability
Key Duties Include but are not limited to:
• Introducing streamlined and professional retail operations that reflect the Pooley Brand image and satisfying customer expectations
• Hiring, training and management of all retail personnel in accordance with company policy and procedures
• Training and motivating retail personnel to high levels of service, achieve sales targets and grow club membership
• Scheduling staff working hours in accordance with budget and business objectives
• Leading by example with a hands-on approach, conducting wine tastings and assisting
staff when required.
• Consistent and timely communication to all retail personnel, clear instruction and
established expectations and standards
• Employing creative and innovative marketing and promotion techniques to engage all retail customers to drive sales
• Working in partnership with like-minded brands to increase brand reach
• Promotional collaboration with Prospect House Private Hotel
• Management and accountability for wine stock and other venue supplies
• Maintaining lean and efficient “back of house” records and systems, including booking
systems, sales/POS systems, end of day sales and stock reconciliation, customer
orders management, and visitor and sales reporting
• Applying sustainable practices to all aspects of retail operations
• Preparing annual retail sales and operational budgets and monitor & report against –
in conjunction with the General Manager
• Minimum two years’ experience in a similar role, managing a busy venue
• Demonstrated experience in:
- Event/function management
- Stock management
• Comprehensive knowledge of wines and winemaking practices, WSET 3 trained and RSA
• Advanced writing and communication skills
• Advanced skills in MS Word and Excel
• Practical understanding of WorkSafe Rules & Regulations for Hospitality and Tourism
• Neat and well presented, upholding Pooley core values and brand image
• Effective salesperson
• Natural leader
• Exceptional interpersonal customer service skills and initiative, ability to work well
with diverse personalities and communications styles
• Creative and Ideas driven
• Team-oriented, able to work in a multi-tasking team environment
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Time-management skills and the ability to work under pressure.
• Problem-solving skills and diplomacy.
• The role is mainly cellar door based but may require travel for sales and events
• Flexibility in working hours is required; working day and hours will include weekends
Candidates that do not meet the essential criteria will not be shortlisted.
Only Tasmanian based candidates will be considered at this time.
To apply for the role, please email a covering letter and resume to the General Manager Pooley Wines using the 'APPLY FOR JOB’ link above.
Applications close Friday 10th July 2020.
Employer Contact Information
PO Box 204
Pooley Wines is a five-star rated multi award winning Tasmanian family winery located in the heart of Tasmania’s famous wine producing region, the Coal River Valley. With two unique vineyards in the Coal River Valley, Pooley Wines have built a reputation for producing high quality cool-climate Riesling, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay wines.
The cellar door “Coach House” is in the town of Richmond, next to the historic Belmont House, 20 minutes from the airport. Awarded Gourmet Traveller’s Best Small Cellar Door in Southern Tasmania on four occasions (most recently in 2017 and 2018) as well as Best Wine Tasting Experience in Southern Tasmania in 2016 and 2019, the location, professional staff and exceptional quality wines makes this award winning venue a ‘must visit’ location for locals and visitors alike.