Employers & Recruiters
Chief Winemaker - Voyager Estate
Margaret River, WA 6285
Winemaking / Oenology
Application Closing Date
Full Time - Permanent
International, Interstate & Intrastate Travel is required
Apply for Job
Refer a Friend
Add To Favorites
In what is one of the most exciting leadership roles in the Australian wine industry, Voyager Estate is seeking a Chief Winemaker to oversee all viticulture and winemaking. Commencing post-harvest (May/June 2022), this is a rare opportunity to take one of the country’s most dedicated houses to the next level.
From its first plantings in 1978 to the 110 Ha of organically-farmed vineyard on the Estate today, Voyager Estate has played an important role in helping establish Margaret River’s reputation for creating world-class wines. The intergenerational culture of custodianship runs deep and is reflected in Voyager Estate being the jewel in the crown of the Landsmith Collection of properties. Led by the classic Chardonnay and Cabernet wines of the portfolio, the vineyard is constantly evolving, trialling new varieties, clones and viticultural techniques. With an experienced team in place, the winery is well-equipped and is consistently investing to keep pace with innovations in winemaking.
Following the well-earned retirement of Head of Winemaking & Viticulture, Steve James, this is an extraordinary chance to continue the drive for excellence through empathetic farming, creativity and technical expertise. Reporting to the CEO and working closely with the family, the Chief Winemaker will be responsible for the full production team, including vineyard, winery and logistics. A philosophical belief in a vineyard-first approach to winemaking is an absolute must, as is the ability to advocate with passion and energy to trade, media and customers across Australia and around the globe. This is an exciting, senior role for the right person, with the desire to inspire and enable others, as well as continue their own personal and professional development.
Margaret River’s pristine natural environment is described by Jancis Robinson as a “wine paradise” and will provide an enviable lifestyle to the successful candidate. An attractive remuneration package befitting a senior role of this nature is available to the successful candidate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Leading and mentoring the vineyard, winery and warehouse teams;
• Drive innovation and improvement in vineyard performance: fruit quality, technical
developments, organic conversion and general sustainability;
• Lead the winery team through ongoing quality improvements, creative and technical
advances, plus plant & equipment upgrades;
• Champion a culture of learning and innovation across the business;
• Work with the brand and sales teams with respect to portfolio innovations and brand
• Be the leading voice for the Estate and the region with trade, media and customers;
• Drive a constant focus on a sustainable bottom line.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• At least 10 years’ relevant winemaking experience including as a Senior Winemaker;
• Tertiary oenology qualifications;
• Highly developed viticultural knowledge;
• Senior level of wine show judging experience preferred;
• Clear understanding of a range of international wine styles;
• Well-developed business acumen;
• Driver’s licence and ability to travel both domestically and internationally
Further information, including a detailed position description, can be viewed at www.winenet.com.au/recruitment
News & Special Offers
Copyright © 2021
All Rights Reserved
VINUM VITAE PTY LTD