Derwent Estate Wines - Winemaker
Derwent Estate Wines
329 Lyell Highway
Granton, TAS 7030
Job Start Date
Application Closing Date
Full Time - Permanent
• Rare position within a well-established vineyard in the Derwent Valley
• Rewarding position where hard work and loyalty is valued
• Attractive remuneration
Family owned and operated; Derwent Estate Vineyard is nestled on the banks of The Derwent River 20 minutes north of Hobart with a northerly aspect. The winery is focused on maintaining a sustainable, agricultural and economically viable business. The onsite processing facility has been purposely built using straw bales and lime render, designed to emulate the caves of Burgundy. This results in award winning vintages within cool climate categories.
We’re searching for a winemaker to join our head winemaker; John Schuts, to work within all aspects of the winemaking process. This is a rare opportunity to join a well-established and respected winery where you will have an opportunity to work with a dedicated team and involved in producing exceptional products.
• Assist with general property and building maintenance tasks
• Carry out and supervise vintage operations, including fruit assessment, grape intake, crushing, fermentation,
pressing, racking, stabilisation and filtration
• Undertake blending operations
• Monitor fermentation and barrel aging
• Cleaning and sanitation of barrels and wine equipment
• Conduct lab analysis and interpretation of results
• Manage the bottling and packaging processes
• Co-ordination with suppliers for equipment, vineyard, bottling and packaging requirements
• Represent the winery when required at various events/cellar door and have an ability to confidently discuss the
intricate details of each varietal.
Key attributes of the successful candidate:
• A steady, responsible and detailed person
• Be willing to learn and follow advice of the lead winemaker
• Loyal, hardworking and committed
• Strong decision-making skills
• The ability to use initiative
• Able to work autonomously
• A genuine passion and extensive understanding of wine varieties
• Experience in cool climate winemaking
Derwent Estate Vineyard comprises of a small but tight knit ‘can do’ team. This role requires flexibility to work with the seasonal requirements of the wine. There will be an expectation to work longer hours during Vintage and other periods during the year; however, your loyal and hard working attitude will be rewarded with flexible arrangements during quieter periods.
Our passionate team prides itself on our positive company culture and the ability to adhere to our personal and professional values.
If this sounds like the next step in your career and you would like more information, please email email@example.com or apply today with your resume and a covering letter detailing your desire to work with us at Derwent Estate Wines using the 'APPLY FOR JOB' link above.
Employer Contact Information
Caring HR Solutions
Helping you create success