Employers & Recruiters
Head Distiller / Production Manager - Manly Spirits Co Distillery
Manly Spirits Co Distillery
4A/9-13 Winbourne Road
Brookvale, NSW 2100
02 8018 5144
SPIRITS & Distilling
Winemaking / Oenology
BEER & Brewing
Job Start Date
Application Closing Date
From $65,000 To $90,000
Full Time - Permanent
Apply for Job
Refer a Friend
Add To Favorites
Manly Spirits is seeking a dynamic Head Distiller to lead production activities at our Distillery located on Sydney’s northern beaches.
The role manages the production of Manly Spirits’ range of craft spirits with a strong focus on developing its range of quality whiskies and gins. It is a position that involves a wide range of responsibilities including managing production staff, distillery operations, product development, quality control, product testing and sourcing raw material.
The head distiller is responsible for the quality of the product that we make thus must ensure the production and maturation processes are working correctly to create an outstanding product. You are the face of the distillery and will often liaise with customers at product launches, tastings, trade shows and other events.
To be successful in this role the applicant will need a strong passion for whisky/gin and have a production background in wine making, brewing or distilling.
Manage the spirit-making team
• Responsibility for managing the distillery’s production staff (future) guiding their actions to ensure the product is meeting quality guidelines.
• Train and develop other production team members
• Manage day-to-day operations of the distillery
Managing all aspects of production including scheduling, raw material purchasing and stock control, optimisation, distillery cleanliness, dispatch of product and ATO reporting.
• Hands on operation of the stills including Monday to Friday early and late shifts.
• Lead safety, health and environment management systems continuing development and implementation.
• Developing new products and efficiencies
Work alongside the Distillery Manager to optimise quality and consistency of our products and therefore sales growth
• Maintaining equipment where possible and otherwise managing contractors from time to time and development of an ongoing maintenance schedule to ensure downtime is minimised
• Optimise processes for making spirits with Distillery Manager
Involvement in procurement of barrels along with distilling and maturation processes. Maintain a stock management plan for continually sampling maturing stock and make decisions on its use.
• Maintain process logs and detailed records to ensure the product meets quality guidelines and accuracy of the inventory management system.
• Brand promotion
Participating in work related events from time to time outside of normal work hours
• Liaise with customers, the media, other distilleries and wholesalers to promote the distillery and its products
• Lead visitor tours and tastings at the Distillery in conjuction with other staff
• Live the Manly Spirits brand
Previous production experience
• Minimum 3 years commercial production experience in wine making, brewing or distilling. Expertise in fermentation and barrel maturation is highly desired.
• Management experience
• Demonstrated experience in managing staff
• Public relations experience
• Demonstrated ability to liaise with customers, suppliers and the media
• Project management knowledge
• Being able to manage a project and evaluate its success
• Quality assurance experience
Demonstrated ability to maintain a quality of product
• Strong passion for the burgeoning craft spirits scene
• Highly energetic and results orientation
• Highly reliable and able to work in teams and autonomously
• Excellent communication skills and public speaking skills. Enjoy dealing with people and have an enthusiasm for sharing what we are doing at the distillery with our visitors
• Strong customer focus
• Advanced knowledge of all aspects of the beverage production
• Advanced knowledge of all process involved with distillation
• Developed sensory skills for tasting and evaluating spirits
• Strong scientific knowledge. Appreciation and developed theoretical knowledge of the distilled spirits production processes
• Project management skills
• Must be very methodical, logical and detail orientated
• Quality control skills
• Operational Excellence - maintains a high level of personal and process safety - development and use of robust operating procedures – care and protection of the environment
• NSW Drivers License or equivalent (required) and NSW Forklift License (preferred)
• Qualification in Wine Making, Distilling or Brewing (highly regarded)
• Experience in related beverage production (3 years minimum)
• Current NSW Responsible Service of Alcohol certification preferable
Applicants should include a CV and cover letter explaining about yourself plus a resume describing your relevant work experience and references. Please forward a copy of your CV and cover letter via email using the 'APPLY FOR JOB’ link above.
You can call David on 0421 324 074 for a confidential chat.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Applicants must have Australian citizenship/residency or a valid existing Australian work visa.
Employer Contact Information
Manly Spirits Co Distillery
4A/9-13 Winbourne Road
Brookvale NSW 2100
View All Jobs From This Employer
Capturing the harmony between carefree beach life and urban sophistication for which Manly is renowned, our Founders David, Vanessa and the Manly Spirits Co. team create Australian Gins, Botanical Vodkas and Whiskies that rival the best in the world taking much of their inspiration from the stunning surrounding marine environment of the New South Wales coastline.
News & Special Offers
Copyright © 2019
All Rights Reserved
VINUM VITAE PTY LTD