Head Winemaker - The Lane Vineyard
The Lane Vineyard
5 Ravenswood Lane
Hahndorf, SA 5245
Application Closing Date
Full Time - Permanent
Light Domestic Travel
*Please note applications are now closing on the 24th of November.
The Lane Vineyard is seeking a Head Winemaker to oversee and manage our award winning, estate grown, cool climate Adelaide Hills wine portfolio. Based on the Hahndorf estate, the Head Winemaker will coordinate our small cellar team, while maintaining full creative control over the winemaking direction, vinifying up to 500 tonnes of fruit onsite, and 200 tonnes offsite. This is a very hands-on, dynamic winemaking role, in a modern, boutique, custom made winery, with access to 40 hectares of premium, Adelaide Hills, estate grown fruit including Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Gamay, Nebbiolo, Shiraz, Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Franc.
• Oversee daily cellar operations, including the management of the Assistant Winemaker and Cellar Master
• Liaise with the Vineyard Management team (contractors), to ensure the estate vineyards are being managed within specification
• Oversee and undertake all wine blending
• Perform cellar duties as necessary including but not limited to barrel work, wine movement, tanker loading/unloading, wine additions, stabilisations and filtrations
• Oversee external bottlings with our contractors
• Manage vintage operations including but not limited to fruit receival, crushing, pressing and fermentation
• Liaise with external growers to ensure fruit is within specification, conduct vineyard inspections and pre-harvest checks as required
• Liaise with external winery processors during vintage to ensure our wine is made within specification
• Conduct regular QA across the cellar, ensuring a clean, tidy and sanitary cellar space at all times
• Keep accurate records (Vintrace) and conduct regular wine analysis
• Maintain our new and old oak, adhering to strict hygiene protocols to keep the cellar free from any spoilage
• Maintain existing and new relationships with external suppliers of winery consumables and equipment
• Manage the cellar budget in conjunction with our CFO to ensure our wine COGS are within specification
• Undertake regular benchmarking
• Conduct both estate based and off-site tastings as well as wine dinners and events, representing the brand as required
• Perform regular tastings with the tasting room and restaurant team to train and educate
• Previous experience as a head/senior winemaker and overseeing a cellar team
• Previous experience within the Adelaide Hills or other cool climate regions
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Computer literacy with experience using Microsoft programs and Vintrace
• Ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively within a small team
• Attention to detail, cellar hygiene and cleanliness
• Confident and outgoing
• Current forklift/high risk license
• Valid driver's license
Applicants must have Australian citizenship/residency or a valid existing Australian work visa.
Please forward a copy of your CV and cover letter via email using the 'APPLY FOR JOB’ link above.
Employer Contact Information
The Lane Vineyard
5 Ravenswood Lane
The Lane Vineyard has been the custodian of an enviable piece of pristine Adelaide Hills terroir since the first vines were planted in 1993. Sitting 420m high atop the rolling hills adjacent the Onkaparinga Valley, the vineyards enjoy the warm days and cool nights that the Adelaide Hills Wine Region is so famous for. Crafting small batch, single vineyard, cool climate wines that truly reflect their provenance since 1993.