Vintage Cellar Hands (2) - Paxton Wines
68 Wheaton Rd
McLaren Vale, SA 5171
Job Start Date
Application Closing Date
VINTAGE / HARVEST
Paxton is a family-owned wine company that started growing grapes in McLaren Vale in 1979 and started its adventure into biodynamic and organic production in 2004. Today we own and manage over 200 hectares of biodynamic vineyards from which we produce around 35000 cases of wine under Paxton labels.
We are looking for two energetic casual vintage cellar hands to work with us over the 2022 vintage period from approximately mid-February to end of April (season depending) during which we will process around 350 tonnes of red grapes. We need to fill one position with an experienced cellar hand and will consider less experience and/or winemaking students for the second role.
Paxton pays wine industry award wages, level to be determined depending on experience. We are an equal opportunity employer working on the land of the Kaurna people and we acknowledge them as the Traditional Owners of this land and pay our respects to their elders; past, present and emerging.
What you will be doing (daily, it does get a bit repetitive…)
- Working 6 days a week from 7/8am from anywhere between 8 and 12 hours
- Unloading 2.5-tonne grape bins from trucks and weighing them
- Basic grape/juice analysis (Baume/ph/TA)
- Processing grapes into fermenters
- Ferment round twice daily (pump-overs, lots of punchdowns, cleaning etc)
- Pressing (draining, digging out and following press cycle, cleaning press)
- Racking finished wine to tanker, unloading at barrel store, cleaning
- Filling, emptying and cleaning barrels
- If you haven’t noticed a theme there’s probably more cleaning
Attributes we need you to have for the role:
- Minimum 2 vintages or other similar period working in a small-medium winery in the last five years (for
- Winemaking student and/or minimum 1 vintage in small-medium winery (for STUDENT/LESS EXPERIENCED
- Forklift license (or willing to get one before vintage )
- Own reliable transport
- Willing or capable of operating 7-tonne forklift
- Awesome and varied taste in music
- Unpretentious, kind and positive attitudes are a must
- Available 7 days a week
- Physically fit and able to do some heavy lifting and climb lots of stairs
- Due to the uncertainty of international borders we can only accept applications from Australian
citizens/permanent residents at this time.
Your application must include a brief (maximum 1 page) story about yourself and why you would like to work at Paxton and a current CV/resume. Please forward via email using the 'APPLY FOR JOB’ link above.
Employer Contact Information
68 Wheaton Rd
Paxton Biodynamic Wines - For 4 decades we've nurtured our vineyards in McLaren Vale. We produce wines of premium quality using biodynamic farming principles.