Winemaker - Australian Vintage
Australian Vintage Limited
Buronga Hill Winery Silver City Highway
Buronga, NSW 2739
Application Closing Date
Full Time - Permanent
Light Domestic Travel
Australian Vintage (AV) is an ASX listed multi award winning Australian wine company with a strong global reach. AV’s portfolio consists of the McGuigan, Tempus Two, Barossa Valley Wine Company and Nepenthe Brands amongst others.
At AV we believe in making the world a smaller place through sharing good times.
Championing a fully-integrated wine business model, the breadth of AV’s capabilities extends to vineyard management, premium winemaking, large scale winemaking, low/no alcohol winemaking, grape juice concentrate production, wine packaging, marketing and distribution.
We are proud that our Buronga Hill Winery and Merbein Packaging Facility are 100% powered by wind and solar energy. Specifically, 30% coming from solar panels on site at the Buronga Hill winery and the balance coming from offsite wind and solar parks through our partner Flow Power.
We have an exciting opportunity for a qualified Winemaker to join our Buronga Hill Winemaking team based in the Mildura region.
The efficient and well-equipped Buronga Hill Winery has capacity to process everything from small premium fruit parcels to large scale winemaking and has technological capabilities such as Spinning Cone Column, Flash Detente and Electrodialysis.
In this role, you will ensure the vine to glass process of converting raw grapes into finished wine are worthy of AVs Brands whilst at the same time firstly producing and blending wines for the Red and White Wine portfolio to volume, cost and style targets and then secondly maintaining these wines throughout their lifecycle. You will be critical in maintaining AV as the lead in value wine production by over delivering on price point and consumer expectation across all categories.
Reporting to the Lead Winemakers for Red Wine & White Wine (Mildura based) your primary duties will include:
• To achieve and maintain wine quality and style standards.
• Process, blend and maintain each wine in the relevant allocated portfolio to the expected style and the highest quality level.
• During harvest ensure intake runs smoothly and wine and juice styles are developed and maintained as determine by Head Winemaker and relevant Lead Winemakers.
• Ensure relevant juices, ferments and wines are treated as per best practice and SOPs.
• Create cellar notes in a timely manner to maximise the efficiency of cellar equipment for operations agreed with the relevant Lead Winemaker.
• Ensure the winery is run in the most efficient manner possible at all times and promote good cellar culture to ensure best practices are adopted at all times.
• Ensure communications in relation to own portfolio, quality, suggestions and progress of operations are shared with wider Winemaking team.
• Carry out oak, blending and fining trials on all portfolio wines and taste with the Lead and/or Head Winemaker.
• Cross train with the other Winemakers to ensure all wines, products and styles are well understood.
• Contribute opinions to tastings including benchmark tastings.
• Ensure all wines are made compliant as required specific to required markets and customers.
• Contribute to engagement and wine culture across the wider winery team.
• Collaborate with the wider operations and productions teams including the Lab to ensure efficient and on time processing.
• Produce and maintain the specification and technical detail for relevant portfolio wines.
• Attend training, information sessions, and wine-shows where relevant.
Australian Vintage Benefits:
• Primary carer parental leave offering 26 weeks paid leave
• Loyalty leave
• Birthday leave
• Volunteer days
• Further education and study support
• Mental health and wellbeing training and support
• Annual product allowance
• Sabbaticals and career breaks
• Continuation of superannuation while on paid and unpaid parental leave
• Formal qualifications: Tertiary qualifications in Wine Science (or equivalent) is essential.
• Communication skills: We are looking for someone with strong communication skills who has the ability to build positive relationships within our business.
• A team player: We are looking for someone who thrives in a team environment where collaboration is at the forefront of day-to-day operations.
• Computer literacy: The ability to demonstrate sound computer skills is essential. Previous experience using Winery operation platforms advantageous.
• Industry knowledge: A comprehensive understanding of the wine industry and a thorough understanding of grape productions practices and processes.
Employer Contact Information
Australian Vintage Limited
Buronga Hill Winery
Silver City Highway
Australian Vintage Ltd (AVL) is an ASX listed multi award winning Australian wine company with a strong global reach. AVL’s portfolio consists of the McGuigan, Tempus Two, Barossa Valley Wine Company and Nepenthe Brands amongst others.